Even though probiotics are pretty popular today, not many know what does probiotic mean. The word “probiotic” means promote life. Probiotics are live bacteria that are good for your health and the supplements that you consume contain these bacteria. Now you may feel a bit odd when you think about consuming live bacteria but they are already there in your body anyway. The human body is home for almost 100 trillion microorganisms! There are good bacteria in your digestive system naturally and what probiotic supplements do is to add to the number of good bacteria. The types of probiotic bacteria present in supplements are very similar to those that are present in your body naturally.
Probiotics are differentiated on the basis of what bacteria are contained in it. There are two species of bacteria that are majorly used to make probiotic supplements- bifidobacteria and lactobacillus. Bifidobacteria helps in the strengthening of the immune system and the absorption of nutrients by the body. Lactobacillus helps in producing lactic acid by breaking down milk sugar or lactose. Lactic acid is of great use when it comes to curbing the population of bad bacteria in the digestive system. Needless to say, both the types of bacteria are beneficial to the human body.
The effectiveness of a particular probiotic will not be similar in everyone. This is because each one of us has a distinct biometric system and the balance of good bacteria means something different to every individual’s body. To maximize the benefits of the probiotics that you and your family consume, you can always consult a doctor and seek his advice on what brand and what type of probiotics you should consume. Good bacteria are present in natural food items like yogurt, pickled vegetables, and some types of cheese. However, the quality and number of these bacteria are much higher in probiotic supplements.
Probiotics are beneficial for your health in many ways. Here are some of the reasons why you must make the consumption of probiotics a part of your everyday life:
- Probiotics help in maintaining the health of your digestive system. They help in better absorption of minerals and vitamins that are present in the food you eat which means that you will be more energetic throughout the day.
- In women, bacteria like Lactobacillus genus helps in maintaining the pH level in the vaginal area which is very important for the health of the reproductive part. Probiotics make sure of the presence of these bacteria in the body.
- According to studies done by the International Journal of General Medicine, probiotics like probiotic BLIS K12 helps in prevention of recurring throat infections.
- Probiotics maintain the overall health of our digestive system which also includes oral hygiene. Some probiotics help to maintain fresh breath.
- Even though probiotics are mostly associated with gut health, studies have found that they help in reducing the bad cholesterol levels in human beings. This means that you can keep your cholesterol level and heart health under check if you consume probiotics on a regular basis.
- Probiotics help in smoothening your tummy during a cleanse or detox program.
- Probiotics keep you healthy physically as well as mentally. It is an effective way of reducing stress and it also prevents the growth of bad bacteria that usually grow due to stress.
- Consumption of probiotics can help you relieve from allergic reactions and issues like hay fever, eczema, asthma, and food allergies. They help in the strengthening of your immune system which will help your body away from inflammation during severe allergic reactions.
Here is another interesting article about Compelling Health Benefits of Eating Dirt Supplements